With a radical concept, the Wings for Life World Run is a global race with a difference. Instead of a finish line, runners and wheelchair competitors – from beginners to elite athletes – race side by side to keep ahead of the Catcher Car.
Instead of a finish line, competitors race side by side to keep ahead of the virtual Catcher Car. Now in its sixth year, on May 5, 2019 Wings for Life World Run participants in Australia can also run together in Brisbane. Meet up with your friends, download the Wings for Life World Run App and join all the other people running until the virtual Catcher Car catches you of course.
The race starts at exactly 21:00. The virtual Catcher Car takes off 30 minutes after the start at 14 km/h and steadily increases its speed until the last athletes have been caught. Set yourself a distance goal with our handy Goal Calculator and see how far you can run to make spinal cord injury curable.
100% of your entry fee goes to spinal cord research. For more information about the charity click here.
Grab your mates, register and even run as a team.
· APP: on the event day, the WFLWR APP on your personal smartphone logged on your account will be your time tracking tool.
· TRACK: The track consists in a loop of Athletics Track at the UQ Sports Centre.... Please refer to the bottom map to get more details about the track.
· LOCATION: the start line is located at Sir William MacGregor Drive, St Lucia QLD 4067, Athletics Track.
· DATE AND TIME: on 5th of May at 9:00pm, registration opens from 6:30pm.
· ARRIVAL TIME: we recommend that you arrive at the event hub at no later than 8:00pm.
· PERSONAL STUFF: NO BAG DROP! We recommend you to leave your personal stuff at your car, at home or to run with them.
· PARKING: Free parking is available in several locations around Athletics Track
· PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: Public Transport is not included in your event registration ticket; please check available services on Sunday, 5 May 2019
· WHEELCHAIRS: wheelchair participants and runners start side by side at this track. The only requirement: wheelchair participants have to start in everyday wheelchair.
In order to join this Organized App Run, please download the Wings for Life World Run App for Android or iPhone and sign up for race day in the App.
You will receive your personal race number via email and it’s also available next to your starting number on the website a couple of days before the race.
The Wings for Life World Run APP is your time tracking tool. When you are registered the App will start automatically on the event day.
The virtual Catcher Car takes off 30 minutes after the start and as soon as it overtakes you, you will get clear signals via the App.
Remember, you MUST:
1. Download the app;
2. Login with your account (the same that you paid the entry fee);
3. Allows the app to ALWAYS access your location;
4. Active you phone data;
5. Make sure your phone is 100% charged.
1. Update your app 24hours before the event.
2. Open the app 10 minutes before the race starts.
3. If the app is lagging, turn your phone on/off.
4. IF the app is still lagging, delete app and download it again.
Yes, this track has a refreshment station! You will find the following on site:
· Red Bull
· 50:50 (Red Bull & Water)
Free parking is available in several locations around the Athletics Centre.
Once caught by the VIRTUAL Catcher Car, we encourage you to return to the START LINE/EVENT HUB to celebrate your achievement with your friends and keep sending good vibes to who still may be running.
Note: there will NOT be transportation provided by the organization for the participants to return to the Start Line.
- 06:30PM – Registration Open
- 07:30PM – Group Warm Up
- 09:00 PM – Global Wings for World Run STARTS
- 09:30 PM – Catcher Car Starts on Course – Pace: 14 km/hr (8.69 miles/hr)
- 10:00pm – Pace Increase: 15 km/hr (9.32 miles/hr)
- 10:30pm – Pace Increase: 16 km/hr (9,94 miles/hr)
- 11:00 – Pace Increase: 17 km/hr (10,56 miles/hr)
- 11:30 – Pace Increase: 18 km/hr (11.18 miles/hr)
- 00:00 – Pace Increase: 22 km/hr (13.67 miles/hr)
- 00:30 – Pace Increase: 26 km/hr (16.15 miles/hr)
- 01:00 – Pace Increase: 30 km/hr (18.64 miles/hr)
- 01:30 – Pace Increase: 34 km/hr (21.12 miles/hr)
Participants can wear t-shirts over a skins/jacket or similar warm layer of clothing. As our Wings for Life World Run is a 9:00pm start in Brisbane, we suggest warm and water proof running clothing. As well, wear Led Lenser headlamp.
For timing and logistics reasons, all participants can/should wear headphones/earphones linked with the official Wings for Life World Run APP Run in order to get advised about the distance within the Virtual Catcher Car.
The event will generally go-ahead rain or moonlight. In case of extreme weather, organisers will decide if it is safe for the event to continue. Participant safety is our number one priority.
Please note: If the event is cancelled, entries are non-refundable.
First aid support will be available at the running track.– there will be a First Aid Officer at the Start Line. If you need assistance during the race, please speak to volunteers or medical staff who will be placed along the route at designated refuelling station.
Stations will be located on the course. The refuelling stations will have water, Red Bull, 50/50 (Red Bull/water), fruit.
Please note we do not allow individual support for food or beverages from friends, family or coaches outside the course.
There is no nutrition at any stations, you may bring and run with your own if you like.
Please make sure you place all cups and rubbish in the bins provided. Those that litter outside of signed Refreshment Station areas will be disqualified.
Spectators are very welcome at this event. At no stage are spectators permitted on the run course at any location. Invite friends and family for this important moment and to celebrate your achievements later on.
- NO participants are to be under the age of 16 years.
- NO pushchairs or prams of any kind are allowed in the race. Non-race wheelchairs are fine.
- KEEP your smartphone logged in your account at ALL TIMES! This will be your timing system.
- NO pets are allowed.
- Pay attention to all briefings and instructions provided to you by race officials to ensure you are safe at all times.